Saturday, January 12, 2013

Beale Family Cemetery, Madison County, Mississippi

I made a decision a few days ago.  As much as I enjoy trying to find headstones in cemeteries that actually have gate shots and a map (Find-A-Grave), what really interests me are the cemeteries with neither.  So, I decided to look for cemeteries on Find-A-Grave that fit that description.  I also decided, for some odd reason, to start with Madison County.

So, I chose to look for Beale Family Cemetery.  It's located off the Old Natchez Trace and fairly close to the current Natchez Trace.

What I've started doing when there are no directions is to look for a survey of the cemetery.  Often times, the person included some directions and a description of the cemetery in the survey.  I found a survey for Beale Family Cemetery.  If you check it out, you'll see that the cemetery is located about 4.3 miles from the intersection of Highway 43 and the Old Natchez Trace, and about 300 yards south of the Trace.

When I turned onto the Old Trace, I reset my odometer.  When it hit 4.2 miles, I stared slowing down.  As I looked up ahead to my right, I saw what looked like brand new chain link fence and what appeared to be a headstone.  Driving just a bit further, I saw the entrance to the area enclosed by the fence.


There was room to walk around the gate and I didn't see a no trespassing sign, so I walked on in. It's a pretty little cemetery and apparently an old one. One of those buried there was born in 1794. It's still in use today. Someone else buried there passed away in 2012.


I was really encouraged this morning by two things. One is how accurate the survey is, and the other is the time and effort some kind soul(s) put into seeing that Beale Family Cemetery is preserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment