Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Wesley Chapel Cemetery, Yazoo County, Mississippi

Two or three weeks ago, I went to fulfill some requests at the Wesley Chapel Cemetery in the community of Phoenix.

To get to Phoenix, you have to take Highway 49 to Bentonia.  You then take 433 to Mechanicsburg Road.  After you turn left on Mechanicsburg Road, you just drive until you see the church.  If you're a Civil War buff, a battle was fought at Mechanicsburg during the Vicksburg Campaign.  I had heard about Mechanicsburg, but I didn't realized is was in my own backyard.  I thought it was in Virginia for some odd reason.

When I first got to the cemetery, I spent some time just walking around.  It is just beautiful.  There are quite a few azaleas that must have been spectacular when first in bloom.  There are old cedars with Spanish moss.  I took a picture of one of them but unfortunately, I didn't handle the back light well.  I think it still gives you an idea of the beauty. 
  

I hate to admit that I didn't find all of the requests I went in search of, but that's just the way it happens sometimes.  It was worth the trip to get the few I did plus the scenery.

As I've said before, it's all about the journey.  Well, as I was driving to the cemetery, I passed a very cool place on 433.  I didn't catch the name when I drove by it, but decided it was worth checking out on the way home.


The Blue Rooster is basically a combination of a general store and restaurant.  If you click on the link, you can check out their menu.  They have another restaurant in Flora right by the railroad tracks.  The folks who own and run the businesses are just as nice and friendly as they can possibly be.  I found out that their burgers were ranked in the top 10 best burgers by the Mississippi Cattlemen's Association.  Just looking at the pictures on their site, I can imagine!

The Blue Rooster is just one example of the neat sites around Mississippi that I'd never see if it weren't for Find-A-Grave the wonderful gravers from Mississippi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment